Proud members of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy. We strongly believe in personal freedom, responsibility, and gun rights. We also believe in the 90/10 theory. That means that 10% of the people have 90% of the talent. Unfortunately, we are not in the 10% category. However, the rest of us are still better than 90% of the politicians.

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Today in Cleveland

I spent several hours wandering around Gretchen's neighborhood.  It's full of really well kept and very pretty older homes.

After that, I decided to go drive around downtown until I saw something interesting.  I passed Severance Hall, where we're going tonight, and found a terrific cemetery.

Lakeview Cemetery is where President Garfield is buried and his monument/tomb/building is beautiful.  I parked near it and was just in time to wander though while several  groups of students were there on a school trip.  My timing could definitely have been better.  After that I hiked through admiring all of the neat gravestones, and there were lots of those.  I found the Collinswood School Memorial (more about that later), Wade Chapel, a beautiful little chapel donated by the Wade Family.   Mr. Wade found a huge, gorgeous Tiffany window while on a European trip and shipped it back.  Then he hired Tiffany to build a Chapel around it.  It's one of 4 Tiffany buildings in the country.  Yes, yes, pics to come when I can. 

There are many more beautiful and grotesque monuments there, and graves of many famous people in American history.  John D. Rockefeller, Eliot Ness, Henry Chisholm are just a few.

I highly recommend a walking tour if you're ever in the Cleveland area.  But start at the bottom and work up.  I parked at the top near the Garfield Monument and hiked in circles down and around the hill.  Precisely the opposite of the direction I should have done it.

No comments:

Post a Comment